Friday, August 10, 2007

Diversity Shmiversity

This post is a yin & yang post meaning you'll go from feeling sympathetically helpless to hopeful that at least the Daily Show is around to make you laugh at their satire, or maybe just more helpless. Fair and balanced like Fox, right? Gian, that last post was great and extremely powerful. Thank you so much. Below I'm going to take something you showed me once that really affected me the first time I saw it and post it here. Many of you have probably already seen it. Underneath that video I'm going to post another Daily Show clip I've been looking for and have finally found that made me laugh a lot the first time. It's about an amendment proposed that would make English the official American language with bitter consequences. I can almost feel the slap in the face it would be for the families who are not native English speakers. I suppose it makes sense though because we all know English is in tough competition for the ever-so-important title of "Official Language" with... Oh wait, everyone already knows English is the primary language. The amendment would be pointless, obviously, and damaging as John Oliver humorously points out. Watch.


Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon



"Language Burier"


"Okay, give me: 'I'm allergic to Penicillin'"

1 comment:

Brigitte said...

random, but this entry reminded me of a time when chicano linguists were going to legally make spanglish a language. cause spanish ain't good enough for ju mijo? haha.
i remember when gian posted that video. it leaves you in awe for...ever.